The term chaordic was coined by Dee Hock, the founder and former CEO of the VISA credit card association.
"By Chaord, I mean any self–organizing, adaptive, non-linear, complex system, whether physical, biological, or social, the behaviour of which exhibits characteristics of both order and chaos or, loosely translated to business terminology, cooperation and competition." Dee Hock
- any autocatalytic, self-regulating, adaptive, nonlinear, complex organism, organization, or system, whether physical, biological or social, the behavior of which harmoniously exhibits characteristics of both order and chaos.
- an entity whose behavior exhibits patterns and probabilities not governed or explained by the behavior of its parts.
- the fundamental organizing principle of nature and evolution.
- anything simultaneously orderly and chaotic.
- patterned in a way dominated neither by order nor chaos.
- existing in the phase between order and chaos.
Characteristics of chaordic organizations
- Are based on clarity of shared purpose and principles.
- Are self-organizing and self-governing in whole and in part.
- Exist primarily to enable their constituent parts.
- Are powered from the periphery, unified from the core.
- Are durable in purpose and principle, malleable in form and function.
- Equitably distribute power, rights, responsibility and rewards.
- Harmoniously combine cooperation and competition.
- Learn, adapt and innovate in ever expanding cycles.
- Are compatible with the human spirit and the biosphere.
- Liberate and amplify ingenuity, initiative and judgment.
- Are compatible with and foster diversity, complexity and change.
- Constructively utilize and harmonize conflict and paradox.
- Restrain and appropriately embed command and control methods.
- Dee Hock, the founder and former CEO of the VISA credit card association.
- Chaordic Commons A network infrastructure created to support P2P-like initiatives, to facilitate access to knowledge about chaordic organizations and organizing.
- The Chaordic Organization: Out of Control and Into Order
- Chaordic Commons of Terra Civitas An invitation to participate in forming a self-organizing, self-governing global community dedicated to developing, disseminating and implementing new concepts of organization that result in more equitable sharing of power and wealth, improved health, and greater compatibility with the human spirit and biosphere.