Related ICT Endeavours
From OMPLanet Wiki
Here we have collected information about groups and projects dealing with innovative and open technologies similar or related to OMPlanet initiative.
- 1 Networks/Platforms/Softwares
- 2 Existing Protocols/Technologies
- 2.1 Decentralized/Federated Social Network Protocols/Common APIs
- 2.2 Decentralized Identity/Personal Web Discovery
- 2.3 Decentralized Authentication
- 2.4 Location Related APIs
- 2.5 Microformats
- 2.6 Decentrilizd Publishing and Subscribing
- 2.7 Syndicating Social Activities
- 2.8 Personal Data Stores
- 2.9 ICT Platforms
- 3 EU Funded Projects
- 4 Research/Publications
- 5 Conferences
- 6 Foundations
- StatusNet - Free Software Federated Microblogging Platform (e.g. Twitter). ["http://gitorious.org/StatusNet source codes].
- GNU Social - A free software that runs decentralized social networks. source codes.
- Diaspora - A free personal web server that implements a distributed social networking service.
- PeerSon - Privacy-Preserving P2P Social Networks. Academic project.
- OneSocialWeb - free, open, and decentralized social networking platform.
- Appleseed The Appleseed Project is an effort to create open source Social Networking software that is based on a distributed model.
- Friendika - P2P Social Network.
- NoseRub - P2P Social Network.
- DiSo - An initiative to facilitate the creation of open, non-proprietary and interoperable building blocks for the decentralized social web. Building Wordpress plugins
- PeerBook - P2P Social Network. Decentralized alternative to Facebook. Student project.
- Pace Project, Diki
Interoperable ICT Platforms
- Lorea - Lorea is a project to create secure social cybernetic systems, in which human networks will become simultaneusly represented on a virtual shared world. Mycelia.
- EIF - European Interoperability Framework for pan-European eGovernment services
- SEMIC.EU - Semantic Interoperability Centre Europe is an eGovernment service initiated by the European Commission and managed by the Interoperable Delivery of European eGovernment Services to public Administrations, Businesses and Citizens (IDABC) Unit.
Location Based Social Networks
- Facebook Places - Facebook's new mobile application that allows users to - "Share Where You Are", "Connect With Friends Nearby", "Find Local Deals".
- Google Latitude - A location-aware mobile application developed by Google. Via user's Google Account, the mobile phone location is mapped on Google Maps. Users can share their own location or see nearby friends and meet up.
- FourSquare - location-based social networking service.
- Gowalla - location-based social networking service.
- Geoloqi - Geoloqi is a private, real-time mobile and web platform for securely sharing location data, with features such as Geonotes, proximal notification, and sharing real-time GPS maps with friends. The API.
- BuddyCloud - A distributed social network and a location based microblogging service. Buddycloud is mainly about two things: user generated channels and places.
- BuddyCloud - Open Standards Federated Social Network with Channels
- LoKast - A mobile app for Instant Social Networking Right Where You Are.
- Badoo - Multi-lingual location based social networking site mostly popular in Europe and Latin America.
Augmented Reality Networks
- Layar - Augmented reality browser. Data in the browser comes in the form of layers. Layers are developed and maintained by third-parties using a free API.
- AlterGeo - Augmented reality browser, social network.
Multi-agent Systems/Mobile Agents
- MobiSoft Project - A Generic Agent-based Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure for
- FacebookAgent – An Agent-Enhanced Social(Mobile)Network Application.
-  - A Secure Mobile Agents Platform Based on a Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure
- Aglets - A Java based mobile agent platform and library for building mobile agents based applications.
Decentralized/Federated Social Network Protocols/Common APIs
- OStatus - A protocol suite to be used as a base for new distributed social networks. Our goal is a specification that allows different messaging hubs to route status updates between users in near-real-time.
- XMPP - Federated messaging protocol. Location Query - XMPP protocol extension for querying a compliant server or service for geographical location of an entity.
- Buddycloud channels - Tools to build your own federated social network.
- OpenSocial - A set of common APIs for web-based social network applications (developed by Google, MySpace and a number of other social networks).
- Elgg - A social networking engine, delivering the building blocks that enable businesses, schools, universities and associations to create their own fully-featured social networks and applications.
- on Wiki - Comparison of distributed social networks.
- on W3C - selection of protocols for the federated social web.
Decentralized Identity/Personal Web Discovery
- OpenID - An open standard that describes how users can be authenticated in a decentralized manner. OpenID allows you to use an existing account to sign in to multiple websites, without needing to create new passwords.
- Webfinger - Webfinger allows email addresses to be used as identifiers for persons as well letting to attach public metadata to them.
- OAuth - An open protocol to allow secure API authorization in a simple and standard method from desktop and web applications.
- OAuth 2.0 - The next major version of the OAuth protocol.
Location Related APIs
- W3C Geolocation API - an effort to standardize an interface to retrieve the geographical location information for a client-side device. W3C
- POI - an effort to develop technical specifications for the representation of "Points of Interest" information on the Web. W3C
- Microformats - Microformats are simple conventions for embedding semantics in HTML to enable decentralized development. Microformats are small patterns of HTML to represent commonly published things like people, events, blog posts, reviews and tags in web pages. hCalendar, hCard, XOXO, etc.
Decentrilizd Publishing and Subscribing
- Salmon - Salmon aims to define a standard protocol for comments and annotations to swim upstream to original update sources -- and spawn more commentary in a virtuous cycle. It's open, decentralized, abuse resistant, and user centric.
- PubSubHubbub Protocol - A simple, open, server-to-server web-hook-based pubsub (publish/subscribe) protocol as an extension to Atom and RSS.
Syndicating Social Activities
- Activity Streams - A format for syndicating social activities around the web.
Personal Data Stores
- Project Danube - Open-Source Sofware for Identity & Personal Data Services. Open-source project offering software for identity and personal data services on the Internet.
- Higgins - Personal Data Stores. Dedicated to giving individuals more control over their personal identity, profile and social network data.
- Personal Data Ecosystem - The Consortium catalyzes a Personal Data Ecosystem where individuals control their own data by enabling a thriving network of businesses around personal data stores and services.
- OWP - The Open Web Platform is a collection of Web technologies developed by the WWW Consortium and other Web standardization bodies. The primary goal of the OWP is to create advanced, open Web standards.
- TOGAF - The Open Group Architecture Framework is a framework - a detailed method and a set of supporting tools - for developing an enterprise architecture. It may be used freely by any organization wishing to develop an enterprise architecture for use within that organization.
EU Funded Projects
- GEANT - GEANT is the pan-European data network dedicated to the research and education community. Together with Europe's national research networks, GEANT connects 40 million users in over 8,000 institutions across 40 countries.
- Future ICT - The FuturICT Knowledge Accelerator and Crisis-Relief System: Unleashing the Power of Information for a Sustainable Future
- EFII - The European Future Internet Initiative. Founded by 16 of the leading ICT companies in Europe and their main ambition is that a new approach is taken to addressing the challenges of the Future Internet in Europe.
- PeerSon - Privacy-Preserving P2P Social Networks.
- DFRN - The Distributed Friends & Relations Network Protocol
- DSNP - Distributed Social Networking Protocol
- People using Location-Based Social Networking and its Negative Impact on Trust: An Exploratory Contextual Analysis of Five Types of “Friend” Relationships
- Investigating the willingness of drivers to share space with pedestrians
- W3C Mobile Web Initiative - Combining the power of the Web with the strengths of mobiles devices.
- Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab - Mobile persuasive technologies
- Platforms, Markets and Innovation - Book by Annabelle Gawer
- ICT platforms and regulatory concerns in Europe
- Interoperability Challenges for ICT-enabled Governance: Towards a pan-European Conceptual Framework
On Future Internet Initiative
- The European Future Internet Initiative - Presentations done at the Architecture Workshop on 9 June 2010
- The Future, Federated Internet and the Need for Designing a Sustainable Ecosystem for Future Applications – A Position Paper
- Geant - Architecture Considerations for Federated Backbone Networks Study
Risks and Benefits
- Privacy Protection for Social Networking Platforms - Adrienne Felt. University of Virginia.
- Life-logging Risk Assessment Final Report - Risks and benefits of emerging life-logging applications. European Network and information Security Agency (ENISA)
- Facebook tracking is under scrutiny - How Facebook tracks users across the Web
- Federated Social Web Summit Europe 2011
- Federated social Web Summit 2010
- Enterprise OpenSocial Interop Fest 2010 -
- The Where 2.0 Conference 2010
- Mobile Persuasion Conference